“When you make one other human simply see they aren’t alone, you make the world a better place.”

Lysa TerKeurst


What is the Pro-Life Movement Missing?


For starters I'd like to say that I am an avid "pro-lifer," who beleives that no matter the circumstances, every life--- yes, from conception-- deserves a chance. That is not what I am here to discuss.

The topic of abortion is one of high-controversy and it seems every person has a strong stance, or at least an opinion, for or against the issue. Again, that's not quite what we're talking about here.

Regardless of your position on the issue of abortion, I think it is critical that we all take a step back and really analyze where our own arguments fall short or even come across as contradictory.



As I previously stated, I am passionately anti-abortion. I won't go deeply into my reasoning in this article, but my Christian perspective alongside years of research on abortion have both heavily influenced my stance.

With that being said, I sometimes have a difficult time describing myself as "pro-life." My belief is unwavering. Undoubtedly.. I know where I stand. However, in years of conversing with those on both sides of the aisle, hearing many stories and opinions of both, I feel that there is something missing from the pro-life movement that repels people and even pushes them towards a more "pro-choice" stance.

When I first began really voicing my beliefs on abortion I would consistently discuss the critical need to protect human life in its most vulnerable form-- the unborn. Because they are unable to fight for themselves, we are called to speak up for them. That's all being pro-life is about, right?

WRONG.

This is where I feel we fall short. In our attempts to protect the unborn, we forget that there are multiple lives in the picture, BOTH in their most vulnerable form. What about the mother in the picture, aren't we fighting for her life too?

Now, I don't believe anyone with the "pro-life" belief actually does not care about the life of the mother and only cares about the baby.. But if our argument is that all life should be valued equally, then shouldn't we be voicing our belief that we should protect the women involved as well?

In most cases, abortions occur because a woman is in a vulnerable state in which she feels she has no choice but to abort her child. I know this is not all cases, but if you take time to talk to women who have had abortions, majority of them under 25 years of age, I promise, you will find this to be true. Nine times out of ten they were put in a situation where fear, shame, shock, and other emotions and factors lead them to believe that they simply have no choice.

When we focus only on fighting for the unborn, I feel that we fail to display that we are fighting for the woman in the situation as well. When women are shut down and shamed for simply considering abortion, they certainly aren't going to feel welcomed or protected and they will quickly run into the arms of others who make them feel that they are valued as well.

Instead of constantly preaching that abortion is wrong, we need to also consider the vulnerable women who feel alone, afraid, and are seeking guidance, no matter what it is that got them to this point. The fact is that it is ultimately their decision to keep or abort their baby, so why aren't we spending more time loving and supporting them and letting them know that they are not alone in this?

As an avid "pro-lifer" I believe we would see a drastic decline in abortions if we would all simply reach out --- not preach out--- to the vulnerable women faced with the decisions that follow in an unexpected pregnancy, and let them know that their life is just as beautiful and valued as their baby's.





No comments:

Post a Comment