“When you make one other human simply see they aren’t alone, you make the world a better place.”

Lysa TerKeurst


My Mission to Fight for the Vulnerable.


I am not one of those people who woke up one day and knew exactly what I wanted to do. I never really even knew the field of study I wanted to go into. My college decision was ultimately guided by my athletic career and an academic program that oddly offered the two most broad fields that appealed to me as a dual major-- business and government.

While I lacked specific direction, one thing I have never been short of is passion. There have always been things that consistently light a fire in me. I know where I stand and I am not afraid to defend my beliefs.. That always naturally drew me toward the political realm... What an ugly realm to be drawn to, huh?

I love the exchanging of ideas that occurs in politics. I love seeing people excited by their values and beliefs. I love to see people fighting tirelessly for those beliefs.  And I love that so many unique issues are brought to the table for discussion.

There is, of course, that ugly side of politics. Conflict, hatred, anger, disagreement, and even corruption. Unfortunately, this is the side that is most often displayed to the world, so "politics" has become a word and topic to avoid in order to make and/or keep friends..

All of that aside, I want to tell you what the number one biggest drawing factor of "politics" was for me.

Being the voice of the voiceless. Fighting for the vulnerable.


That is what draws me in. That is where my passion for politics lies, but really my passion in life. Sure, economics and foreign affairs were topics I enjoyed studying, but if you really want to see my eyes light up, get me talking about human rights, and ultimately the protection of the most vulnerable people in our world.. Children, mentally and physically disabled individuals, human trafficking survivors, those who have suffered through domestic violence, and, of course, the unborn.

Through my studies and my involvemnet in various different advocacy groups, whether it was targeted towards children with limited access to education, ending human trafficking, or fighting for the unborn, I kept coming across two unique groups of vulnerable individuals who seem highly underrepresented. Who are being constantly fed lies, and taken advantage of. Who are silently struggling through their days. Who are convinced that they are alone in this world and don't deserve to be fought for.

The two different, but very interconnected groups that have caught my attention and stolen my heart are women facing unexpected pregnancies and those who are suffering post-abortion.

You might think that the pro-life movement is a platform of outreach to these women, or even the pro-choice movement, which claims to represent women facing the decision to have an abortion and supporting them when they do.

Quite honestly, I think that both groups are failing. Perhaps with good intentions, but they WE are still missing the mark.

Don't get me wrong, there are MANY wonderful groups designed for post-abortive women to seek support and council. There are also pregancy support groups designed to help women facing unexpected pregnancies. However, I think we need to do better because there are millions of women out there suffering.

What I believe we need more of in this world is a place where we aren't spouting our opinions or advice at these vulnerable women, but where we can just pour love, understanding, acceptance, and pure compassion into them. Provide them with a place that they feel supported and loved, and where they feel they can freely discuss their concerns and fears. We have a desperate need for a platform where the millions of struggling women feel welcomed no matter the choices they have made or the values they hold, where they feel compelled and encouraged to start sharing their stories and recognize that their situation and their choices do not make them an unworthy cause. We need to stop saying what we think they should hear, and start listening to the unique stories of each of these women, and finding out how we can support and encourage each of them on their unique journeys.

Pro-life or pro-choice.. We NEED to be Pro-Voice.

This does NOT mean we should compromise our own values.

As an avid pro-life advocate, I believe the more we display compassion and love towards these women who are so full of fear and shame and confusion, and the less we preach at them, the more lives, of both women and children, will be saved.

The other portion of the "Pro-Voice" movement I am trying to acheive is not only creating a place of acceptance, support and guidance for those currently facing unexpected pregnancies, but giving those who have previously been in those situations a paltform to share their stories and to interact with the women struggling through similar situations.

Our culture has adopted this idea that all of the women who have had abortions immediately become a pro-choice activist, and "Shout Their Abortion." This is a terrible misconception and a horrible lie.

I know from speaking to women and asking them to tell their stories that there is a world of hurt out there because women felt there was no choice, but to have an abortion. I will go much deeper into this issue in another post. However, this goes back to the drawing factor of being the voice of the voiceless.

I want to encourage post-abortive women to share their stories. I want to give them a place where they are not shamed for their decisions, but are given an opportunity to share with women currently in a situation similar to theirs.

It is my mission to show women that they are not alone under any circumstances.

This is where the idea of "The Table," derived.

The Table is a place that allows women to come, free of judgement, in their most vulnerable state and recieve the love, compassion, and guidance that they so deeply desire.

If you are currently facing an unexpected pregnancy, or suffering post-abortive in ways that you had not been prepared for, I encourage you to Come To The Table.

If you feel compelled to share your story, I welcome you with open arms to do so.

I have created an email account specifically for anyone to share their stories, struggles, ask questions, or to get connected with someone who has gone through what you are going through.

Please feel free to email thetableblog@yahoo.com.

Remember that you are not alone and you are worth fighting for.

- Brooke A. Karmie

To read the amazing story behind the title read our feature article Come To The Table, by Bethany Adkins. 






No comments:

Post a Comment